Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dedicated Study Zone

So, working at the kitchen table or in front of the television may have worked while you were in college but trust me, it isn't going to work for studying for the CPA exam. This baby is a beast to study for! You are going to need a specific dedicated study zone, someplace that you will go to and ONLY think of the CPA exam. No distractions.

Some people chose the library, which would be perfect for me as well except I have a family and that is just not going to work for me and my family. I am away from the family enough as it is so we chose a study zone at our home. I purchased a small desk at the local Walmart, had just enough room for my computer, keyboard, and writing tablets for notes. Looking around my home to find the quiet spot was the hard part. Garage is to cold, and we do not have a den or spare room so we ended up putting it in my bedroom closet! Ha! My desk and chair fold up nicely so that I can shut the closet door each night and my bedroom still remains my bedroom.

Study tool items: Earplugs (or headset), water bottle, flat screen monitor ( allowed me the most space on my small desk), calculator (as close to AICPA calculator as possible) extra light on desk, calender, pens, pencils, highlighters, and a time clock. I saved the best for last, my Sticky Notes! They are the best, but more on that in a later post.

It is key to keep distractions at bay, put a sign on your door, if you are at home like I am, to remind your family that you are not available. Do not put any games or links to social website on your study computer. Keep it as bare bones as possible, don't take "breaks" on your study computer and look at the news, it will only lead you to have the mindset to wander during your study time. Go in another room to play on the computer.

Keep your study zone stocked with water bottles and snacks, and vitamins (Fish oil is great for memory retention but thats for another post). Thats all I can think of for now, good luck on your study zone!

"It always seems impossible until it's done."

No comments:

Post a Comment