Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Researching the CPA exam

I think its fair to say that I have invested just as much time into the CPA exam materials, motivational quotes and ideas, study techniques, study tools, and others past/current experiences as I have studying so far! So, I plan to share them here on my blog and keep it updated with my journey in hopes that it will help someone in their own journey someday.

First and foremost, I had to create a strict time table. (otherwise I would find myself postponing portions and getting incredibly behind) I needed to treat this like a job, act like I would if this was put in front of me at work. I set up a daily routine schedule which looked like this:

Mon - Friday (3 hours a day)
6:30 - 7AM - Study notes / flashcards
7 - 8AM  - Get ready/drive to work (45min commute here)
8 - 5PM - Work; get in 30 minutes of study time during lunch
5 - 6PM - Drive home
6 - 6:30PM - Workout on bike/treadmill
6:30 - 7:30 - Study
7:30 - 8PM - Eat Dinner
8 - 9PM - Study
9 - 10PM - Free time
Bedtime 10 - 10:30PM
It is really important to go to bed at the same time each night, this ensures that you stay on schedule and don't have to change things or feel tired if you stayed up the night before. I took Melatonin on nights that I had a hard time falling asleep.

Sat-Sun (6 hours a day)
Not sticking to my schedule for weekend but 6 hours each day is my goal.
When I figure out a good weekend study strategy I will post more on that later.

Total study time 37 hours a week! And I work full-time with an hour and a half commute, have two children, and as of up to my CPA exam journey am a happily married women. If I can do this, so can you!

"Don't procrastinate, don't put it off! Put in those hours and learn those questions. That's how you become a CPA"

3 comments:

  1. This is great and, in my professional experience, EXACTLY how to get through the exam.

    You're proof that it can be done, even with work, kids and a life, it's just a matter of penciling in study time.

    Thanks for sharing, I hope some people find your schedule helpful for creating their own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting all this. I just read all ur post and all i can say is WOW! Thanks again and I will be using some of ur study habits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! It is a work in process as I learn.

    ReplyDelete