Monday, March 28, 2011

Study Tools

Everyone study's differently, these are just some of the things I have done to make my studying successful.

Use the checklists at the beginning of the chapters, it will help you to focus on what you should be learning. I review these checklists at the end of the chapter to make sure I went over everything, and understood the topics before I went onto the MCQ's.

Make flashcards / stick notes - The area's that are new to me, or that I need to "refresh" my memory on I make flashcards / sticky notes on.

Sticky notes are great because you can see and read them everyday, even when you are no longer on that topic, you keep the topic in the forefront of your mind by seeing it stuck to your wall or monitor day in and day out. The drawback to stick notes are you can't take them with you wherever you go.

Flashcards have become useful to be with regards to some topics. I write them up myself because I feel that taking someone else's flashcards is just the same as reading the books. Making your own flashcards allows you to categorize things the way you need to see them. Flashcards can go with you where ever you go, I throw them in my purse and anytime I am waiting for something I pull them out. The drawbacks to flashcards are you have to actually USE THEM for them to be beneficial. So many times I made them and then never looked at them again and felt "Boy that sure was a waste of time". They can be useful, you just have to use them.

MCQ's are the most important study tool you have, once you have the basic concepts down, drill those questions over and over again. Just be sure you are focused and getting them correct, otherwise you are wasting valuable time. Work every question you can find, work it, understand it, and explain it to your imaginary intern. Do what you have to do to pass!

"All the so-called "secrets of success" will not work unless you do"

No comments:

Post a Comment