Monday, June 13, 2011

The Loss of a Mentor

Mr. B was invincible to most who knew him, that is until he had a heart attack and died less than three months after his triumph over his two year battle with cancer.  
Many of us have several mentors throughout our life and each mentor brings about a different skillset which they strongly portrait, which is what makes them so endearing to us. We envy their traits and abilities and mimic them in order to become more like them. Mr. B. had that dynamic personality that everyone just wanted to be around, he really lit up a room with his demeanor, and he also had a strong outward confidence which he displayed with little to no verbal communication. 
1024_IF_large
I will admit I do seem a little lost without him at the moment, even though he never really verbally guided me his guidance was implied and I understood that implication.  
It saddens me that I did not get to achieve my goal of passing the CPA exam while he was alive to show him and see him be proud of that accomplishment. He has always believed in my ability to pass and become a CPA.
I refuse to let this hurdle in life become a road block to my success in the studying and passing of the CPA exam, in fact I am going to use it as fuel.  Mr. B. in death, just as he was in life, will guide me and create the motivation I need to accomplish this task. He was a strong, smart, and confident person who believed in me and my abilities and I can't let him down.
If Mr. B could conquer cancer, look it in the face and not let it get him down, come into the office day in and day out all throughout tax season while going through his chemotherapy treatments with a smile on his face, then I can pass these exams. We all can pass these exams.
He was an inspiration to me every day and he will continue to be so for the rest of my life. Thanks for everything Mr. B.
I typically end every posting of mine with a motivational quote that I find inspirational but this time as a tribute I will post one of his favorite quotes in honor of Mr. B.
"Ethics and eating are two different things"

No comments:

Post a Comment