Thursday, June 9, 2011

Why is the CPA exam so hard?

Are you ready for the magical answer?

The CPA exam is so difficult for some because of the environment in which we, as children, are taught in is not being adhered to in the structure for these exams.

As children we are taught in a structured classroom setting. We are encouraged by our peers as well as our classmates. We are guided, shown examples, and when we still don't understand something we are shown it again.  Think back to your math classes in junior high and high school, the first quarter of the year is spent going back over everything that you learned in the prior year. Some teachers even go as far as to learn and understand each students learning style to show them tricks they can use to learn.

The CPA exam is different in this aspect. For the first time ever, for the majority of us, we are given the study materials and left on our own. Here is a computer, here is your study guides, text books, multiple choice questions, and video lectures, now go teach yourself.

I enrolled in online college classes and can say that this structure isn't what its like even for online colleges.

It's no wonder that the pass/fail rate is hovering below 50% for each part. This was not the way that our society has structured us to learn. The first study program to become developed and be used more like an online college will achieve the best results. Give us grades! Those of us that are doing good need to be told so, we need the reassurance that we are studying correctly, that we have mastered the content. Give us F's! Yes, I just said I want an F. If I have not mastered some content, I want to know. If what I am thinking is totally wrong in a particular area then I want to be told that I am headed down the wrong path.

Correct me BEFORE I take the exam.

For a society drive on checks and balances, there sure aren't any prior to us taking these tests.

"Try to develop steady work habits"

No comments:

Post a Comment